FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS WHOLE BODY CRYOTHERAPY (WBC) A PROVEN MODALITY?
Yes. WBC has been used in Europe and Asia for almost thirty years. There are numerous clinical studies showing its effectiveness and safety. Many professional athletes in the NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL and other high profile sports have made WBC an important part of their recovery treatment programs.
IS NITROGEN DANGEROUS?
No, nitrogen is a non-toxic gas that makes up about 80% of the air we breathe. However, breathing pure nitrogen could cause fainting, due to the lack of oxygen. To prevent this, the cryo machine we use is designed to keep the patient’s head above the chamber, where the necessary oxygen is always available.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR WHEN GETTING TREATMENT
- For men, we recommend just wearing your underwear or a pair of compression shorts.
- For women, we recommend a bikini, or sports bra and short shorts.
The more uncovered skin you have while in the chamber, the better your results will be.
We will provide you with dry socks, gloves and booties to protect your extremities. We also ask that you remove all jewelry and watches.
IS THERE ANYONE THAT SHOULD AVOID WHOLE BODY CRYOTHERAPY?
Yes. If you have any of the conditions below, WBC is not recommended:
- Untreated Hypertension
- Heart attack within previous 6 months
- Decompensating diseases (edema) of the cardiovascular and respiratory system;
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Chronic liver disease
- Unstable Angina Pectoris
- Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) or known circulatory dysfunction
- Acute febrile respiratory (Flu like respiratory conditions)
- Acute kidney and urinary tract diseases
- Severe Anemia
- Cold Allergenic Phenomenon (known allergy to cold contactants)
- Heavy consumerist diseases (abnormal bleeding)
- Seizure disorders
- Bacterial and viral infections of the skin
- Wound healing disorders (open sores or discharging wound/skin conditions)
- Alcohol and drugs abuse
- Valvular heart disease
- Recent heart surgery
- Ischemic heart disease
- Raynaud’s disease
- Hyperhidrosis – heavy perspiration
Note: Parental consent is required for anyone 17 years or younger.
I AM CLAUSTROPHOBIC... WILL THAT BE AN ISSUE FOR ME?
Normally this will not cause any issues because your head is above the rim of the chamber, so you will not have the perception of being in a closed, tight space. In addition, the chamber door is never locked shut, so if you ever feel uncomfortable, you can just push it open and come out.
IS WBC COMFORTABLE?
You are putting your body in a very cold environment for up to 3 minutes, so you will definitely feel cold. However, most people can handle the treatment without issue, and feel comfortable knowing that they can always cut the treatment short if they get too cold.
Rest assured, we will always be there to talk to you during the treatment to make the time go by faster and to make sure you are handling the treatment well.
HOW WILL I FEEL AFTER MY SESSION?
This varies from person to person. When first starting WBC, some people may get really tired after their first few treatments as their bodies go into “repair mode.” This typically only lasts for the first 1-3 sessions. After that you will typically feel very energized and alert after a treatment.
Some people feel energized and alert right from the very first treatment.
DOES WBC REALLY BURN 500-800 CALORIES PER SESSION?
Yes. All of those calories are not burned in the 3 minutes, but are burned over the next 24 hours as your body responds to the cold treatment.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED BEFORE I SEE NOTICEABLE RESULTS?
This varies greatly from person to person and depends a lot on what kind of problems you are trying to address.
- For long-term chronic issues, we recommend at least 5-10 treatments to start. If you don’t get any results in that time, it is more than likely that WBC will not help your issue.
- For short-term acute issues (like recent injuries), people normally see benefits within 2-4 sessions, with some people getting immediate results.
- If you are just doing it to rejuvenate your body, increase your general energy, and improve your mental clarity, 5 sessions is typically more than enough to achieve noticeable results.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I GET TREATMENTS?
Initially, we recommend doing your sessions as often as possible (like every day or every other day) so you can maximize the positive changes in your body brought about by WBC.
Once you have achieved good results, you can slow down your treatments over time.
For general maintenance, people typically receive 1-4 treatments per month.
CAN I EXERCISE AFTER MY SESSIONS?
Yes. Unlike an ice bath, your tissues will not be frozen from WBC. Therefore, there is no problem going to workout after a session. It just may take your muscles a little longer than usual to warm up!
DO I NEED TO SHOWER BEFORE OR AFTER WBC?
No. WBC is a dry treatment. Showering before or after a session is not needed.
IS IT SAFE TO DO CRYOTHERAPY IF I HAVE BREAST IMPLANTS?
Yes. Implants are not a problem.
IS IT SAFE TO DO CRYOTHERAPY IF I HAVE METAL INSIDE MY BODY?
Yes. As long as the metal is inside your body, you will be fine.
IS IT SAFE TO DO CRYOTHERAPY DURING MY MENSTRUAL CYCLE?
Yes. That is not a problem.